Coffee-making methods to make your first sip as exquisite as the last
By TAMARA REEVES
Aeropress is the ‘go to’ coffee maker when you’re out and about. It’s even handy at home!
Aeropress fits in your handbag, briefcase or picnic bag so you can take it wherever you’re going – to work on the train, on a picnic, taking a 5-minute break in the car while watching the kids play cricket… absolutely anywhere!
If you like smooth, fast espresso coffee, this is the one for you. It’s the ‘no fuss’ coffee maker of your dreams.
Don’t leave the coffee to steep too long in the AeroPress as it can become bitter with an acidic aftertaste.
You can re-use the micro-filters. After use, just brush the filter off under running water before drying it flat, ready for next time.
Essential: AeroPress kit including micro-filters, funnel, scoop, stirrer, and kettle (if on the go, you’ll need a thermos of hot water instead)
Coffee: 14-15g ground coffee of your choice
Aeropress Time: 3-4 minutes
Servings: 2 cups
- Put the micro-filter into the base of the AeroPress and rinse with hot water. Discard the water after the filter is saturated, keeping the filter in place.
- Put the AeroPress on top of your cap with the filter.
- Place 14-15g ground coffee (medium-coarse texture) into the top of the AeroPress.
- Pour in 220ml hot water – until it’s almost full (there’s a ‘4’ marker near the top, so fill just above that). If you’ve freshly boiled hot water, let it stand for 1-2 minutes to slightly cool before pouring.
- Stir the water and coffee grinds well. Put the top of the AeroPress on to form a seal.
- Wait 2 minutes and press down until you hear a hiss of air. You may need to use firm pressure to push the water through the micro-filter. You should push slowly so that it takes about 30 seconds for all the water to run through.
- Kick back and enjoy the nectar of the Gods. (And don’t forget you can re-use your micro-filter!)
AeroPress vs. Chemex: This is espresso versus drip filter. AeroPress is a stronger, richer flavour with more body. Chemex is milder and sweet in comparison.
Purchase your very own AeroPress Starter Kit here.