Coffee-making methods to make your first sip as exquisite as the last
By TAMARA REEVES
The Chemex has been called “equal parts brilliance and common sense” since its invention in 1941.
The Chemex is not just a coffee pot—it’s a beautiful, sleek carafe made of glass. It’s even been classed as a work of art, on display at New York’s Museum of Modern Art.
Finally… some art you can purchase for your home that’s both stunning and practical! What other artistry can provide you with an indulgent cup of coffee each day?
With a Chemex, you lift the grounds out with the filter. They never touch the carafe, which makes it easy to clean.
Essential: Chemex carafe, Chemex filters, kettle, grinder, a digital scale, timer, spoon, coffee cup
Coffee Beans: 50g whole bean coffee of your choice
Time: 3-4 minutes
Serving: 2 large mugs (if using a 6-cup Chemex carafe)
Note: Chemex 3-cup carafe or 6-cup carafe, Chemex bonded filters, coffee beans, and hand grinder all available in our shop.
- Boil your kettle.
- Insert the filter into the carafe with the single fold away from the spout, and multiple folds lined up against the spout. Rinse the filter with hot water so that it’s completely wet from bottom to top. Pour out the water, keeping the filter in place.
- Grind 50g coffee beans to a medium coarse texture. Put the grinds into the filter paper in the middle of the Chemex carafe.
- Pour hot water until all of the grounds are saturated. Stir with a spoon to remove any dry clusters.
- Wait 45 seconds and then pour about 350g of water. Pour the water in a circular motion to wet all of the grounds.
- Wait 1 minute, 45 seconds and fill the carafe to the top (about 650-700g of water).
- At about the 4-minute mark, the water should have mostly drained through the filter. Pull the filter out and throw away.
- Serve. Indulge. Enjoy.
Purchase a bag (or two) of beans from our Love Beans coffee range, and we’ll make the brewing process easy peasy lemon squeezy by pre-grinding your beans to suit the Chemex (simply choose the Chemex option from your chosen coffee’s type menu).